Medicine wastage is a serious and growing problem within the NHS. Even if you never open them, once medicines have left the pharmacy or dispensary they cannot be recycled or used by anyone else.
Sometimes patients or carers with repeat prescriptions continue to get more medicines than they really need and stockpile them at home. This wastes millions of pounds and huge quantities of medicines.
To help you get the best from your medicines, ask your doctor for advice.
Please help us to save the NHS resources by ordering ONLY THE ITEMS YOU REALLY NEED
- Check what medicines you still have at home before re-ordering
- If you no longer take a medicine on your repeat prescription, please let us know.
- Discuss your medicines with your GP on a regular basis
- Think carefully before ticking all the boxes on your repeat prescription forms and only tick those you really need
- If you don't need the medicine - don't order it! If you need the medicine in the future you can still request it.
- If you need to go into hospital please take all your medicines with you.
- Please remember your medicines are prescribed for YOU - it is not safe to share them