Please remember that if you have blood tests or other investigations, it is a shared responsibility to ensure the results are followed up and no further action is planned. You should enquire about the results and make an appointment to follow up the investigations.
Please telephone for test results, preferably during the quieter part of the working day between 10.30am - 12.30pm and 2.30pm - 4.30pm
Most test results are available a week after the test. Make sure to ask, when you are with your Doctor or Nurse, how to obtain the results.
It usually will be one of 3 options:
- We will only inform you if there is a problem
- You will be told to telephone one of our receptionists
- Your Doctor will inform you
The approximate time intervals for standard tests are:
- Blood tests - 5-7 days
- X-rays and Ultrasound - 10-14 days (these are subject to the Hospital providing the report in a timely fashion
- Cervical Smear test - national target is 2 weeks. The result is managed centrally by Hampshire and the Isle of Wight PPSA who will write to you directly. If the result has not been received after four weeks, please contact the surgery
The doctors will advise you if the interval is significantly different. To maintain confidentiality, results will only be given to patients in person or to parents if the patient is under 16.
Pregnancy and HIV test results are only given by the doctor to the patient concerned. Results will not be given to anyone on behalf of a patient and never over the phone